If you want to attend our events and are not a prospective member (i.e. you've never been a member and are trying us out) then we'd like you to be a member.
A list of members for 2011/12 and their contributing events for 2012/13 is here. A list of members and their contributing events for past years is here.
Members receive the following benefits:
- Can attend all events (assuming correct equipment/clothing/fitness/experience if required)
- Receive priority over casuals (members receive early priority over casuals for events where places are limited i.e. many of our weekends and weeks away that involve accommodation, and route planning and navigation courses etc.)
- Do not pay a surcharge (casuals pay a significant surcharge for certain events)
- Are exempt from paying the Non-Member Supplement when staying at a YHA hostel as part of a group event (currently £3 per night for adults and £1.50 per night for under-18s)
- Can borrow and use group equipment (group shelter, books/routes, maps etc.)
- Can get a group advance (returnable) to pay deposits for events they organise
- Can use our main email group for occasional private communications
- Can use our email forum for private sales/wants, house shares and non-programme social events
- Are covered under our public liability insurance (but not for personal injury)
- Can make proposals and vote at our AGM each October
- Can get a 15% discount on purchases from Cotswold Outdoor Watford - contact our for details
- Can get a 10% discount on purchases from Chelston Direct and Outdoor Look
Members must meet the following obligations:
- Attend at least one outdoor activity each group year and only attend activities capable of doing
- Be aware of outdoor safety and protocol, not endanger the safety of others and only take acceptable risks
- After 12 months as a member, contribute one single day event for each of our winter and summer programmes, or one multi-day event (involving at least 2 nights away) for either. Contributing single day events must be submitted by the end of September (for our winter programme) and by the end of March (for our summer programme). Contributing multi-day events must be submitted by the end of September. These dates assume members rejoin prior to the start of our group year (1 Oct). Members who rejoin after the start of our group year must submit their contributing event within 14 days of paying membership money in order for their membership to be valid.
- All members who attend 3 or more events involving at least 2 nights away in a group year must organise a similar event during the following group year (if rejoining)
- Be aware of the skills required in the outdoor activities attended, and in particular should gain the skills required to contribute a good event for our programmes
- Keep current with all group protocol; all members are automatically added to our main email group where all key information is communicated (and can opt out at any time)
- Keep current with all events to be attended, in particular being prompt in paying monies owed, responding to communications, and informing of any issues or changes affecting others
- Be aware of our group constitution
- Respect our group rules and authority
- Ensure behaviour is civil and polite at all times
Our group year starts on 1st October and ends on 30th September. The price for annual membership is discussed and agreed by members at our AGM each October. There is only one grade of member but there are a number of different prices. The following prices were agreed at our 75th AGM on 20th October 2011:
- Under 30 years old: £10 per annum
- 30 years old and over: £28 per annum
- Low income (might be student, carers, part-time workers, unemployed etc.): price negotiable, please speak with Chair or Treasurer, we don't want to know your income etc. but will want to be assured that your lifestyle reflects your status. If your circumstances change during the year and you are no longer on a low income then we expect you to let us know and pay the full rate pro rata
Rejoining or returning members are expected to pay membership for all part and remaining quarters of our group year.
Members can claim a refund for any future quarters should they wish to leave the group; just let the Chair or Treasurer know before the next quarter and the refund will be organised.
Everyone attending our events is subject to our rules.